The Education Society of Singapore (ESS) is a non-profit organization registered with the Singapore Registry of Societies (UEN: T16SS0177F), under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
We exist because the founding members desire to contribute to society through educational and cultural activities.
To become a bridge connecting every educator and learner, enabling them to contribute to an inclusive and forward looking world.
Our Society Objects (Mission)
- To promote education as a solution for the betterment of society.
- To facilitate educational and cultural programmes that promote global competence to help build an inclusive world.
- To provide support and consultancy to avail educational opportunities to students, teachers, parents, businesses and governments.
- To promote the interests of the Society members in educational activities.
Our current focus: Building global competence
What is global competence?
Global competence is the capacity to examine local, global and intercultural issues, to understand and appreciate the perspectives and world views of others, to engage in open, appropriate and effective interactions with people from different cultures, and to act for collective well-being and sustainable development.
Why do we need global competence?
Learning to participate in interconnected, complex and diverse societies is no longer a luxury but a pressing necessity. We want to inculcate global competence in order:
- to live harmoniously in multicultural communities
- to thrive in a changing labour market
- to use media platforms effectively and responsibly
- to support the Sustainable Development Goals defined by the OECD